Saturday, August 13, 2011

August 13, 2011, Week of a Thousand Diapers



We thought Carrie and Melina are filling out pleasantly, and it was confirmed Wednesday at their well-baby checkup. At ten days of age, Carrie Annabelle is back to her birth weight at 6 lbs. 2 oz. Melina Mae almost broke the five pound barrier, but the night before she spit up an entire feeding in a spectacular foot-long arc of projectile prowess. She settled for 4 lbs. 15 oz., and we are so happy she continues to suffer no ill effects from low birth weight. Other than a few days of upset tummy they seem to be thriving despite their hurried entrance into the world. I’m recovering myself, and trying to engage in activities that will help me gain strength for the coming move.

It’s also a small personal milestone for me to be “off the hard stuff”. It’s a little disturbing to be sent home from the hospital with two babies to take care of and feeling loopy from the vial of white pills you're taking for the pain. Some things I said at the time don’t make sense in retrospect. I told my Mom it was perfectly all right for me to be vacuuming after surgery because our vacuum cleaner was easier to push than our Chevy Malibu. Then I had a waking dream that I was lying in bed with the laptop at my feet. I was cold, so I went to www.ask.com and asked Can I have a blanket? One promptly unfurled right out of the screen and covered me. These and other lapses while taking the medication worried me slightly. I soon decided that I could stop any time I wanted to. And so I did.

How many cards does Hallmark make to congratulate the parents of twins?



Just one, apparently, so we're not just seeing double when we look at the babies.

My parents' card was a normal single-baby card, but Mom wrote "Times Two" on it to make it more appropriate. It reminded me of my grandmother Irma Meth, the one whose August birthday angel figurine will be displayed in the girls' room now that they made their August due date. She is quite the grammarian. Her cards would arrive with birthday wishes from her and Grandpa and I's painstakingly changed to we's wherever necessary.

This evening I had to sneak away to Target to buy diapers because I didn't think I had enough to get through the night, joining hundreds of UK students buying textiles and body wash to stock their dorm rooms. Augusts in Lexington are always tough times to shop, the lines always long, the aisles always crowded with perky moms picking out deodorant and toilet paper with their sullen freshman sons trailing behind. Just how many diapers will our three children use this month? Who cares? We have more important things to occupy us:



A first family picture before Mom and Dad went home Thursday. That's me forcing my shoulders back and positioning Carrie strategically over my tummy bulge. I lost 20 lbs. last week. That's a lot, even if it was 11 lbs. of baby, 6 lbs. amniotic fluid, and one plus-sized placenta. It feels good to weigh less than my husband again, and I can zip up one pair of my jeans.

I said I zipped them up.

I didn't say I could breathe.



My talented friend and neighbor made these headbands for the girls. Great for a special occasion. The royal wedding, perhaps. She sells these and other baby stuff at http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewjoycrafts.



I did not stage this picture, but I don't blame you if you don't believe me. I imagine them doing this in the womb. Important to note that a week and a half later, Melina is still leading by a nose.


No comments:

Post a Comment