Sunday, December 9, 2012

Family Remembrances for Orville Meth, December 7, 2012

Many of you know that my grandpa, Orville Meth, passed away on Monday night.  The girls and I travelled to Minot, North Dakota to attend the funeral, leaving Devon home with Daddy for a staycation.  We have been braving the -7 degree weather and learning the importance of wearing our hats and shoes, calling in every evening to hear about their days at the beach, the park, and the pool. 

A few family members have asked for a copy of the Personal Remembrances given at Grandpa's funeral on Saturday.  I thought posting it here would be the easiest way to let it get around to people.  Please feel free to print, share, and give away. 
 
 
Good morning.  I am Debby’s daughter Krista.  I am honored have this opportunity to talk about my Grandpa.  I have tried to listen in the past few days and record the kind words of others and add them to my own reflections.  I hope I got the details right, or at least am able to accurately represent who he was and what he meant to us. 

Grandpa had an infectious laugh.  It started with a gasp of surprised pleasure and ended with him tossing his head back.  “Ha..Haaa….HAAA!”.  I can’t imitate it, although I am startled to hear another version of it coming out of my uncle Dan, my brother Tim, and occasionally even my mom.  I would characterize him as a happy person, even though he had his moments of gloom like we all do.  His secret to happiness is found in Nehemiah 8:10: “The joy of the Lord is your strength.”  He knew the Lord, and his relationship with God gave him strength to overcome the hard things in his life: illness, death, separation, and hard work.

In recent years, Grandpa enjoyed the help and comfort of friends and family.  All of you who gave time and love so selflessly meant the world to him, and also to those of us who had to be far away.   First and foremost, his daughter Esther Redington and family cared unceasingly for Grandpa and Grandma these past 12 years after they moved to Minot.  It was a joy to them and a wonderful testimony to us how they lived out  2 Thess 3:13: “Do not grow weary of doing good.” It means so much that Grandpa enjoyed these things in these past few years: three big helpings of dinner this past thanksgiving, watching the birds outside his windows, looking at cards and pictures, using Skype to wave at his great-grandchildren, and going for short walks outside. Thank you.  Thank you so much. 

“Ah,” Grandpa said recently to a fellow pastor who visited him often, “you still make house calls!”   So many of you did just that.  You made house calls, whether you listened to him talk about his aches and pains, bought him a piece of pie, gave him a ride somewhere, read him a piece of mail, prayed with him, or drove him out to the country so he could spend an hour sitting with Grandma.  Thank you

Grandpa spent sixteen years as chaplain of The Baptist Home in Bismarck, ND.  There he visited the sick, prayed with the hurting, and held the hands of the confused.   These were all things he did to perfection.  In his early career he travelled many miles in rural farming communities, brightening people’s days and praying for them in the even, reverent voice he used to talk to God.  Out of all the memories about Grandpa that people have shared in the past few days, prayers come up most often.  He prayed at dinner, in front of his church, and at family gatherings before we went our separate ways.  I would like everyone here to raise your hand if you know Orville prayed for you.  Now please raise your hand if you remember him praying with you. 

After Grandpa retired, he didn’t stop working.  While I was growing up in California, he kept a set of work clothes at our house, a pair of blue jeans, an old yellow shirt, and a pair of brown leather boots.  When Grandpa and Grandma would come out to visit he’d put on his work clothes and see what needed to be done around the house and yard.  One time I remember him showing me how to remove the fabric softener dispenser in mom’s washing machine and clean the gunk off it with a toothbrush.  No job was too small or too humble.

He also kept busy with his rocks.  He was a member of the North Dakota Gem and Mineral Society.  He spent many hours cutting and polishing stones and making things with them, finding beauty in unexpected places.  If you look around as we are milling about you will see things he made.  The men in the family are wearing tie tacks and bolo ties, and the women are wearing necklaces. 

Most of all, Grandpa loved spending time with his family.  I could tell by the tender and respectful way he took care of his own parents, Gust and Elsie Meth, who both enjoyed long lives.  On a visit when I was in junior high, I watched my great-grandma lecture him about being an hour and a half late to pick her up for dinner.  This was inexcusable.  She let him know it.  He stood still and faced her, hanging his head slightly to meet her shorter gaze, his ears burning a little red with embarrassment.   Truth was, he wasn’t late at all.  She was confused.  He didn’t see the point in correcting her.  He just listened, his silence becoming the gentle answer that turns away wrath. 

               One word describes my Grandpa and Grandma with their grandchildren: tickled.  In their laundry room hung a red, heart-shaped pillow mounted on a stick.  “Grandma’s Paddle” it read.  I didn’t get the joke as a child.  Why would Grandma spank you with a pillow if you were bad?  “That’s okay,” said Grandpa, “I’ll show you Grandpa’s Paddle!” he said, playfully brandishing a ping pong paddle and chasing me around the room, giving me love pats on the behind as I shrieked with laughter.  He had a special smile that he reserved for all of us, while napping with Dorothy on his chest, showing Tim his rock collection, picking up the tab on a family lunch at Red Lobster, or finding the American flag that two-year-old me was pointing to way off in the distance.

These past few nights I have sung a bedtime song to my girls that I remember him singing to me as I fell asleep:

Go to sleepy little baby

Go to sleepy little baby

Go to sleepy little baby

That’s what the Sandman says.

The last time we saw Grandpa in person, I had the privilege of placing my then ten-week-old son into his arms.  He held Devon and they looked at each other while we took pictures, the flash from the camera glinting off their two bald heads.  I always knew we were loved, but I don’t think I grasped how fervently our lives were prayed over and how much we were cherished until I became a parent. 

               As you know, my Grandma preceded Grandpa in death just seven weeks ago.  It wasn’t the end of a 63-year love story, but more like the page at the end of the book where it says “and they lived happily ever after”.  Grandpa and Grandma complemented each other perfectly, her gifts of writing and hospitality helping him minister more effectively to others.  Most importantly, they enjoyed each other’s company.  I remember them sitting at the table after lunch, their heads bent toward each other, each eating a cracker smeared with margarine as they listened to Paul Harvey.  I remember him pinning a corsage on her blouse on what must have been an anniversary.  I can instantly call to mind the sound of Grandma’s alto voice harmonizing with Grandpa’s as they sang hymns.

I also remember Grandpa sitting next to Grandma when she was suffering from Alzheimer’s and couldn’t respond to him, taking her arm tenderly and whispering: “Wie Gietz, Mama, Wie Gietz.”  (How goes it, Mama, How goes it.)  He was by her side as often as he could be, ending each visit with the words “’till we meet again.”  It goes without saying that he always kept that promise, but this last reunion definitely outdid the other ones.  I don’t know what language we will speak in heaven, but I know if Grandma gets another Wie Gietz from her sweetheart she can answer in German “Wunderbar”, that is, (wonderful).

When family gathered together recently to celebrate Grandma’s life, Grandpa enjoyed sitting in the common room surrounded by his loved ones singing hymns together.  Daughter Debby accompanied them on the piano.   Then the phone rang.  2 ½ year old Devon and I joined the sing-a-long, our heads touching as he sat in my lap and insisted on holding the phone.  Devon asked to sing his favorite song: “Sing Jesuslovesmethisiknowforthebibletellsmeso.”  Grandpa was so happy that day, and so free of the confusion that occasionally marked these final weeks. 

As we prepared to hang up Grandpa wistfully remarked “I want to come to Florida and see you.  I want you to come see us.  I wish we all could live close and be together all the time.” 

If you ask me, that’s what heaven is.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment