Friday, March 9, 2012

Happy Discovery Day, 3-10-2012

Carrie and Melina are seven months old!



It makes sense that they call foot soldiers "infantry". Whether or not the connection is deliberate, we're yielding our territory to a formidable invading force. We've gone from one mobile child to three in the last month.



Carrie's been crawling since Monday and surprised me by sitting up several times today.



Melina's not far behind; she's put in some serious time perfecting her crawling form this week. Then she flips over on her back and does crunches, wanting to sit but not sure how to start the process.



I'm taking a lot of blurry pictures. It's impossible to get anybody to hold still...



...and if I want a shot I'd better move FAST! Forget cropping. Disregard backgrounds (notice the toilet in the back of the sweet Carrie picture!!!). I'm developing both speed and agility. A few more months of documenting these milestones and I'll be ready to go on Dancing With the Stars.

The girls had their seven month checkup on Thursday.



Carrie Annabelle weighed in at 16 pounds, 2 ounces. She's gained exactly ten pounds since birth.



Melina Mae tipped the scales at 14 pounds, 14 ounces. She's gained exactly ten pounds since birth.

Am I the only one who thinks the weight gain in even increments is crazy? Last time it was eight pounds apiece. These girls love their even numbers.



Seven months is a great age. This morning everyone was up and fed breakfast before 8. I was emptying the dirty mop water into the sink at 9 and showered ten minutes after that. I feel like I've rediscovered the morning. It gives me hope that someday we'll be able to stir out of doors before 10.



With the schedule so much calmer, I can take more time to enjoy the routine.



Instead of rushing through bath time, we splash in the water and I kiss those precious little rolls! Just weeks more and I can bathe them at the same time in the big tub. I can't wait!



The girls take two short naps to Devon's one long nap, so we have an hour of girl time in the early afternoon. On Thursday we spent it organizing the closet. Believe it or not, that's the "after" picture. There's just no way to make mismatched bins and boxes of clothes look any neater.



Devon enjoys throwing balls for the girls to chase. He leans in so Carrie can touch his head, which makes her scream in delight. "Cowie feel my head!" he chortles, and then runs to Melina so she can do the same. "You so funny!" he giggles.

Today is a special day. In a few minutes when everyone's up I'll open the box of sprinkled donuts and cook the sausages. We'll brew some coffee and spoon feed the kids, reminiscing about life one short year ago.

March 10, 2011 was discovery day. The sonogram tech blew our minds by giving us a number before a gender at our twenty week ultrasound, and just like that we were parents of three kids.

What a day to celebrate!

In unrelated news, a stork is apparently visiting our house again.



Literally, this time. NOT figuratively. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment