Monday, February 11, 2013

Foodies: Feb 11, 2013


Morning temperatures of 47 degrees brought Devon into our bed earlier than usual, and when we got up he complained of being "shivery".

Forty-seven degrees.

Poor kid.  


Our pantry was attacked by a gang of thieves.


They found Daddy's stash right away.


Just when I thought the messes couldn't get any worse, I took Devon through the car wash.  He loved it.  Now he drinks a mouthful of milk sippy and spits it out.  All over his cars, trucks, and trains.  "Look!  Car wash, Mommy!" he says, pleased as punch.


Devon and I shopped with the nutties at Walmart for an hour and a half on Saturday night.  We played Walmart Bingo to amuse ourselves.

Rather large woman on an electric scooter with a t-shirt that reads "Let's Get Naked".... Check.

Bearded man with holes in his ears that Devon could throw a tennis ball through... Check.

Tired woman with son holding on to a toy at the end of the rope, scolding him for trying to eat everything in the produce department.... No, wait.  That was me.


Princesses.  They're what's for dinner.


We've crossed the park off our list of outings, with three big kids able to run fast in different directions.  Right now we enjoy the morning sun on the tennis court, with a twelve-foot chain link fence and a door that bolts.  Ahhh, bliss.  If I'm lucky I can sneak in a cup of coffee and enjoy the sensation of being over a hundred feet from my kids in a public place.


Last time they amused themselves by picking up the white pebbles scattered over the court and driving them around in the dump truck.


It's one of the few times I've seen them come together in a cooperative activity.  I hope there will be many more soon!


I've pretty much tabled cooking as well.  Don't get me wrong: I heat, bake, serve, and clean up food.  I spend ten minutes a week scrubbing out what I call the "primary instrument of food preparation".  The microwave.  I just find it impossible to spend time preparing a nice recipe that needs my full attention with two little girls fresh and energetic from their afternoon naps trying the kitchen cupboard doors.  Meanwhile, Devon eyes me from the table, waiting for me to take my eyes off him for a second so he can jump down and color all over the walls.


Craig to the rescue.  We've started Sunday Soup Night.  While I play with the kids, Craig makes homemade soup from a recipe from an artsy Williams & Sonoma cookbook he got me for Christmas.


It would otherwise be gathering dust, but last night we had Roasted Butternut Squash Soup.


Devon was much more fond of the baked pear garnish than the actual soup.


It's pretty relaxing to watch Craig roast a red pepper or waft a fragrance from a bubbling pot towards him like he's in the lab mixing chemicals.  He's planning oyster stew for Valentine's Day. 

Devon is gearing up to write Love and Friendship notes for all the kids in his Tots class.


He came home with this one last week.  Just in case we ever forget....

1 comment:

  1. I get shivery too ... all the time. I actually use this "word" all the time. It's real. Okay, no it's not. But I like it. Shivery. :o)

    ReplyDelete